What is a Capsule Wardrobe?
A capsule wardrobe is a condensed selection of clothing, including outerwear, accessories, and shoes that make up only of items that you love, that fit you right now and that are appropriate for your lifestyle and the season.
Why Embrace a Capsule Wardrobe?
Stop overspending and start investing. A capsule wardrobe allows you to create a satisfying and on point wardrobe without going broke because it eliminates emotional purchases, binge shopping and rash decisions and lets you focus on buying pieces that you absolutely can’t live without.
Release your inner fashionista. By paring your wardrobe down and removing all the clutter, your pieces will need to start doing double.. In the past, that basic black knee length skirt might have been worn on repeat with a white blouse, but in your new wardrobe it can now be worn with a blouse or sweater for work, with a denim shirt or a t-shirt for running errands … it’s time to see just how creative you can be.
HOW TO DO IT
Step 1: Eliminate the Clutter
Take every single item you own out of your closet, drawers, storage…and lay them all out on the floor – I mean EVERYTHING!
Step 2: Evaluate
Go through everything in pile 1. Is it in good shape (i.e. stain-free, hole-free)? If there are stains/holes – is it something that can be fixed? Will you actually take the time to fix it? If the answer is no, then add these items to pile 2 for eliminating.
Step 3: Build Your Wardrobe Vision
Use Pinterest or go old-school and use magazines to create a collage of pieces/outfits you love, outfits that inspire you! Need some inspiration? Check out your favourite retailers’ lookbooks or blogs, and research the latest runway trends.
Step 4: Examine Your Lifestyle
This is a very important step in ensuring that your capsule wardrobe will actually work for you. For example, what is your office dress code? What does your typical weekend look like?
Go back through your wardrobe vision and remove anything that doesn’t fit your lifestyle.
Now, pull out some paper (or plunk down in front of your computer) and write down every single re-occurring “activity” along the top of the piece of paper (i.e. work, weekly date night…), this will help you determine what you need to get you through the next three months.
You can also write down pieces you don’t have but know would be perfect for a specific activity. For example, you don’t have a chambray shirt but wish you did to wear on date nights?
Step 5: Build Your Capsule
Start by picking your neutral colour (black, grey, beige, navy). This will be the base of your wardrobe.
Pick your main colour – the central colour of your wardrobe. It could be a colour that makes you happy, a colour that makes your eyes pop, or a seasonal colour trend that you love.
Pick your accent colours. These are colours that will add excitement to your wardrobe.
It’s ok to have multiple pieces for the same activity (for example, you might have three skirts that fall into the “work” activity category but, if you find that you have ten skirts that fit into this category, it might be time to let some of them go – remember the point of a capsule wardrobe is to de-clutter.
At the end of this process, re-evaluate anything left in your pile. Why didn’t it make the cut? If it’s because it doesn’t fit any of your activities then it might be time to say goodbye. If it’s just because it’s off-season or something that you only wear once in a while, then it’s ok to keep it.
Anything that isn’t crossed off your list is something you need to purchase. For easy shopping, combine all these “outstanding” pieces onto one sheet or write them down in your phone so you always have them with you.
Step 6: Complete Your Capsule Wardrobe
Head to Delivery Home Shopping Centre to purchase any outstanding pieces, but keep in mind that you must love it, it must fit you and it must be appropriate for your lifestyle before it gets to come home with you.
TIPS FOR COMPLETING YOUR CAPSULE WARDROBE
1. It’s ok to buy fun, on-trend pieces to keep your wardrobe current, but shop in moderation. Avoid impulse purchases and only buy what fits your lifestyle, captures your heart and falls into your wardrobe vision.
2. Think quality over quantity. Splurge on those perfect pair of jeans that you know you will live in this season instead of buying four pairs of on-trend pants that maybe don’t fit as well. You’ll end up reaching for the classic, well-fitting pants way more often.
3. Don’t buy all your outstanding pieces at once. Once you’ve purchased a couple of pieces, take them home and play with them. See how they fit into your existing wardrobe. You might discover that you don’t need to buy as much as you thought.
SOME OF THE STAPLE PIECES Delivery Home SHOPPING CENTRE RECOMMENDS:
1. A black camisole
2. A white camisole
3. A basic white tee
4. A graphic tee
5. A striped tee
6. A white button down shirt
7. A neutral silk blouse
8. A chambray/denim shirt
9. A plain sweatshirt
10. A crew neck sweater
11. A sweater tunic
12. A neutral blazer (relaxed enough to wear with jeans but not so relaxed that you couldn’t wear it to the office)
13. A wrap sweater or chunky cardigan
14. A leather jacket
15. A classic trench
16. A denim jacket
17. A neutral wool jacket/seasonal jacket
18. A rain jacket
19. A shirt dress
20. A little black dress
21. A midi skirt
22. A denim skirt
23. A neutral pencil skirt
24. A pair of skinny jeans
25. A pair of neutral dress pants
26. A pair of black dress pants
27. A clutch
28. A crossbody bag
29. A large classic tote
30. A pair of black heels
31. A pair of nude heels
32. A pair of booties
33. A pair of lace up flats
34. A pair of white sneakers
• Great styles from: Footlocker, Gap, Le Chateau, Hudson’s Bay, Payless Shoes, Ricki’s, Aldo, Bentley, Bootlegger and Cleo. *Selection or style of clothing may be available for purchase, see in store for must have basics to build your Capsule Wardrobe.